Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Great Ormond Street staff grilled by police after baby dies of glucose overdose

The story has taken its inevitable sad end.
Staff at Great Ormond Street children's hospital have been questioned by police after a premature baby died from a suspected overdose of glucose. Poppy Davies died on Sunday evening aged five weeks when doctors switched her life support machine off.

Her devastated parents were told that she had been injected with glucose as part of a routine operation, but that the level in her bloodstream had become 'dangerously high'. Doctors explained that it was highly unlikely baby Poppy - who was born five weeks early - would ever recover.
What are the chances that there will be a serious internal review into procedures leading to the implementation of new guidelines (continued page 94).

Source; Daily Mail.

1 comment:

DARWEN REPORTER, Linda Preston said...

What a tragic tale. Sadly, not an uncommon one.