Monday 12 January 2009

Hospitals to reveal superbug rate

"The Scottish Government is to start regular monitoring of rates of MRSA and Clostridium difficile in hospitals. The new "infection report cards" were a key recommendation of an expert report following the outbreak of C.diff at the Vale of Leven hospital last year. A Strathclyde Police investigation is continuing into the deaths of 18 people linked to that outbreak...

Last year Ms Sturgeon told the SNP conference in Perth that NHS boards would have to reduce the rate of the infection in hospitals by at least 30% by 2011."


Er, shouldn't the target be to reduce infections by 100%?

Source: BBC Scotland.

1 comment:

subrosa said...

Yes of course it should, but she's being realistic don't you think? C.difficile has been around for generations and it's not going to be erradicated until the public take responsibility for their own hygiene and health.

I'm a survivor of c.diff myself. Caught it during an overnight stay in local hospital. My GP insisted, for 12 days, that I had food poisoning and refused to send me to hospital until I nearly throttled him in my living room. The length of time I suffered has cause so many life-long health problems for me now and there's nothing I can do about it.

Enough said!