Saturday, 18 July 2009

Baby dies after suspected salt overdose from hospital drip

A baby boy has died from a suspected salt overdose thought to have been caused by an error with a hospital saline drip.

The tiny child, who was born prematurely, fought for his life for three days after being discovered by nurses with soaring sodium levels and severe dehydration. He had been on a saline drip and a coroner will now investigate the possibility he had been receiving an unsuitable dosage...

The boy died on July 7, three days after the problem was discovered by staff at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham. Nottinghamshire Police said a coroner's investigation would be held and there will be an inquest. Detectives will not carry out any separate inquiries.

Dr Stephen Fowlie, of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We offer our deepest condolences to the family. We are supporting the family in this difficult time and keeping them fully informed of our investigations into the loss of their baby. We apologise for any shortcomings in our care of their child."

An overdose of salt can lead to hypernatraemia, more commonly known as acute dehydration. Adults can usually react to early symptoms, such as thirst, but infants can slip into a coma before it is detected.
Source: Daily Mail


JuliaM said...

"Detectives will not carry out any separate inquiries."

No, I can see why they wouldn't want to touch this with a bargepole...

Witterings From Witney said...

"We apologise for any shortcomings in our care of their child."

Well that's ok then - not! Twill be interesting to see where the blame (if any) is apportioned.

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.